Providing Solutions To Complex Legal Issues
Yao Liu is a member of Cavitch’s Corporate Practice and China Practice group, concentrating on corporate law, mergers and acquisitions and cross-border transactions. Licensed to practice law in both Ohio and New York, Mr. Liu has extensive experience in domestic and cross-border merger and acquisition transactions, joint ventures, investment, venture capital and private equity transactions, licensing, distribution and international trade transactions.
Grown up in China and trained in both Chinese and U.S. law schools, Mr. Liu has been utilizing his deep knowledge of both U.S. and Chinese legal systems, customs, languages and cultures to strengthen business relationships and resolve business disputes for clients globally. Mr. Liu is frequently advising clients on expanding their business ventures in both the U.S. and China.
Mr. Liu majored in Chinese law during his undergraduate and earned his Juris Doctor degree cum laude from Case Western Reserve University Law School with a concentration in Business Organization. Mr. Liu is named by Super Lawyers as 2022 Ohio Rising Star, a distinction given only to the top 2.5% of lawyers under the age of 40. Mr. Liu is also a graduate of Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Leadership Academy, Cleveland Council on World Affairs Richard W. Pogue Fellowship, and is current serving as a member on Case Western Reserve Law School Alumni Board. Mr. Liu is a frequent writer and speaker on cross-border transactions.
As a bi-lingual (native in Chinese and fluent in English) and bi-cultural lawyer from China, trained in both the United States and China, Mr. Liu has extensive knowledge and experience in establishing and strengthening business relationships for international clients and businesses globally.
The following is a brief representation of recent transactions for Mr. Liu:
• A pest control company in its sale of assets (over $7M) to a public-traded company.
• A trucking company in its sale of stock (over $13M) to a private equity group.
• A doctors’ group in its various investments in medical labs.
• An investment group in its acquisition of real properties and financing (over $13M).
• An appliances manufacturer in its acquisition and later divestiture of a China-based company.
• A U.S. automobile parts distributor in its joint venture in China.
• A Chinese private equity firm in its investment (over $20M) in a U.S.-based electric vehicles company.
• A Chinese public-traded company in its acquisition of a U.S.-based logistics company.
• A Chinese venture capital firm in its investment in a U.S.-based medical device company and joint venture in China.
• A Chinese automobile company in its investment in a U.S.-based company.
• A Chinese water treatment company in its U.S. subsidiary compliance assessment before IPO.
- Case Western Reserve University Law School, Cleveland, Ohio
- Juris Doctor
Case Western Reserve Law School Alumni Board
Case Western Reserve’s Dean’s Honors List from 2012-2014
CALI Excellence for the Future Award for Antitrust Law
CALI Excellence for the Future Award for International Trade & Policy
- Shanghai University of Political Science and Law
- New York
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Leadership Academy
Classes & Seminars
- “Covid-19 Impacts on Supply Chain in China”, presentation to Illinois SBDC International Trade Center on April 15, 2020
- “China and the Coronavirus – How the Outbreak May Impact Your International Business”, presentation to International Business Network on March 30, 2020
- “Contractual Performance in Response to Covid-19”, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Journal, September 2020
- “CFIUS Consideration In Cross-Border Transactions”, CMBA Journal, May 2020
- “Is Your Product Really “Made in USA” ?”, CMBA Journal, September 2019
- “China Is Entering A New Era For Foreign Investments: China’s New Foreign Investment Law and Its Implications on Foreign Investors”, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association (CMBA) Journal, May 2019; Attorney at Law Magazine, June 13, 2019
- Super Lawyers as 2022
- Ohio Rising Star