Navigating The Complex World Of Employment Law
Employment law issues are complex and ever-changing. Employers of all sizes need a trusted legal guide to navigate the difficult issues that can arise. At Cavitch Familo & Durkin, our employment law attorneys understand the problems employers face, as well as the legal requirements they must follow. We take the time to learn about our clients’ businesses to provide tailored advice. We have been guiding clients throughout the greater Cleveland area since 1886.
Creating A Productive Working Environment
Encouraging a positive work culture for your employees starts with a strong foundation. Creating good employment policies and following them will go a long way toward preventing friction. We provide guidance and advice for employers for matters such as:
- Hiring, Firing and Discipline – Employers want to be careful with such actions to make sure they follow necessary laws and regulations, as well as internal policies.
- Confidentiality and Noncompetition Agreements – State laws vary regarding how employment agreements can be written and enforced, and these types of agreements have recently been getting national attention.
- Severance Agreement – Whether and when to offer a severance agreement can depend on many factors, and employers want to make sure they are carefully worded.
- Personnel Manuals – Manuals and handbooks provide opportunities for employers to layout employee expectations and protect themselves in the event of litigation.
Providing Counsel, Advice And Advocacy In Employment Disputes
Our primary goal is to keep our clients out of court. However, when litigation arises, we aim to reduce the risks. We regularly counsel clients on a range of difficult employment disputes including:
- Wage and Hourly Pay Issues: State and federal law contains strict requirements regarding these topics, and violations can have financial consequences.
- Discrimination and Wrongful Discharge: Fighting accusations of employment discrimination and wrongful termination are complex and costly. They can also impact workplace morale and a company’s reputation in the community. Our employment attorneys are well-versed in defending accusations of discrimination and wrongful termination with the Ohio Civil Rights Commission, and Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, as well as in state and federal court.
- Misappropriation of Trade Secrets: If you suspect a former employee sold, revealed, or misappropriated trade secrets for their own use, our employment lawyers will be able to provide you with actionable options.
- Unemployment Issues: Whether you terminate an employee, or they resign of their own accord, we can represent your interests in an unemployment claim.
Working With Administrative Agencies
Our employment attorneys and civil litigators have extensive experience working with both state and federal agencies focused on employment-related matters such as the:
- Ohio Civil Rights Commission
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- Department of Labor
We can help you with your correspondence with these agencies when you must respond to inquiries.
Schedule A Consultation With Our Employment Law Firm
To discover how our team of experienced employment law attorneys can help you, schedule an appointment. You may call our office at 216-621-7860.
Click here to view the attorneys within this practice area.